Delaware Fun Facts
- First State: Delaware was the first state to ratify the Constitution.
- Peach State: the first state to product peaches commercially
- Diamond State: it is widely believed that Thomas Jefferson called Delaware a "jewel" among the states because of its strategic location along the East Coast.
Other Fun Facts
- Delaware's state bird is the Blue Hen. Named after the "fighting blue hens" the mascot of the Delaware Revolutionary War soldiers.
- State bird is the Tiger Swallotail (Pterourus glaucus)
- State flower - Peach Blossom - adopted in 1885 because Delaware was the leading producer of peaches until a blight called "the yellows" destroyed the orchards in the late 1800s.
- State fruit is the strawberry, adopted in 2010.
- State herb is sweet golden rod - adopted on June 24, 1996 and indigenous to Delaware. It is found throughout the state along coastal areas and by marshes.